- You Don’t Really Have The Time -Business owners, managers, and even marketers generally do too much. If you are doing your accounting, serving customers, prospecting customers, managing leads, working on products, training employees, managing an office or storefront, working on your website design, connecting on social media, attempting to have a personal and family life outside of the business, and working on your marketing, why do you think your content will be good? Great content takes significant time to write, especially if you are not as practiced as a professional blogger. If you don’t have the time to write, stop and find someone else.
- Your Business Is Dry as Dirt – Have you ever watched Mike Rowe do his dirty jobs series? People love watching him because he takes dirt and makes it interesting. And manure. And toilets. There are many businesses out there that are just hard to market, and that’s OK. Now, you may run a janitorial company and have a great sense of humor and the art of marketing; you are a good fit for writing your own blogs. But, if you really don’t understand how to make the intricacies of your day job pop out for the average reader, relax. There is someone else who would love the opportunity to make your cup of dirt interesting.
- You Don’t Read Regularly – Now, I do know that you may be able to replace blogging with podcasting or video publishing, but the written word still drives much of the internet. Not only that, but the most tech savvy young people are reading more than older generations, according to Forbes. If you want to reach search engines or a younger market, you need to have written words on your site. If you don’t read, how do you know what to write for your audience?
- You Don’t Speak The Language – This should go without saying, but I run into blogs all the time by people who either outsource to non-native English speakers or are non-native speakers. While this may work great if you are speaking to people with a similar grasp of the language, you cannot communicate to your audience if you do not speak their language. Tambìen, hablo Español no bueno. Necessito much mas practica por escribar mas de Español en mi blog. If you couldn’t get that, I said (poorly), “Also, I do not speak Spanish well. I need much more practice to write more Spanish on my blog.” See, it goes both ways: if you want to write marketing materials for your business online, learn the language.
- You Really Don’t Want To – I don’t know the reasons you may not want to craft your own content that engages, delights, and converts your customers, but you do. If you do not want to write content on your site, stop! There is too much to do in life and business to spend your time
So, if you are a business owner and your blogging efforts are half-hearted or way outside your comfort zone, there is hope for you! For more information on growing your business through content, marketing and more, please click the follow button below!