During my workshop, “Why Aren’t Ya Blogging?” one of the more common issues that small business owners face in crafting a quality business blog is the fact that they are so dang hard to finish. We business owners are a flighty lot: we have to balance sales calls, serving our customers, crafting content on our site, strategic planning, accounting, technology sourcing, artistic creation and strategic direction. Among other things. That is why I am sharing these tips on how to finish your business blog, learned from finishing my over 700 published blogs.
Writing A Blog is Hard
I get it, but there are some great resources for figuring out how to effectively plan and write a blog so that it is finished and published.
- Use a Numbered List – Someone asked my about why I always talk about “7 reasons,” “4 tips,” and similar numbers of lists. There are two reasons: one is that your readers like knowing what they are getting beforehand. The second reason is that you only have to write a little bit on each point. Only have time for a short post? Give people 3 simple tips? Want to write a long-form article that people will bookmark and read later? Write a list of the 15 best apps for running a blog.
- Outline and Draft – If you have the number of points you want to make, outline the intro, points, and conclusion and then draft it.
- Don’t Push It – If you find yourself staring at a blogand quickly clicking away to Facebook or some other equally amazing procrastination tool, don’t keep pushing. Get up, go for a walk, shoot some hoops, or play some hockey. When you have had a moment to breathe, sit back down and use the next few tips and the checklist linked to below to hammer out your blog!
- Use Music or White Noise to Filter Out Distractions – I use the Spotify Web App, and when I really need to focus, I listen to one of the many Latino and Latina stations…. If you cannot listen to any forms of music, get a fan or a white noise app.
- Understand Your Learning Styles – People think and learn differently. If you have never taken some time to understand your learning styles, you might want to research that a little more if you struggle with writing a blog. Maybe you are a kinesthetic learner and you need to write your blogs from your phone while jogging down a road at sunset.
- You Talkin’ To Me? – Understand the buyer’s persona or avatar you are writing to and you will be able to plan your blog better. Know your audience is always a key part of any writing journey, and a blog is no different from every other form of content.
- Single Task – Once you know what you are writing about and have an outline in place, take some time where you will not read any other article or go to any other sites. If you need to, close all tabs and programs except for the one you have open.
Finally, I have prepared a checklist to help you finish your business blog every time!